Tuesday 10 November 2015

Week 8

Hello!

Last time I wrote an update on this blog feels like months ago, not a week. It's been another super busy week but exciting none-the-less!

Wednesday was another planning day for a live news day this week. I was put on one story that didn't have enough people and ended up being pulled and then I was put on another story that no one was available for and it was all very confusing. The biggest part of this planning day was being told about a networking event trip that's happening next week - a bunch of us get to spend the afternoon in Portsmouth this Wednesday. One of the course leaders said that some third years got jobs from this event when it was in Southampton last year so I'm actually really excited! 

Less excited to have to come back and go straight to dance, but excited none the less. Busy day!

Thursday was interesting to say the least - I made the mistake of pulling an all nighter and I felt like my body was closing down. But audio gave us a new assignment to work on and we had something to work on for the afternoon.

Between sessions I went for a nap but in the afternoon we worked with a host from BBC Radio Solent and worked on telling stories - hosting radio alone is hard so he wanted us to work on our voices being engaging and entertaining when we telling an anecdote or a story on our own. We were told to pick something to do with music that we were passionate about and talk about it for 2 to 3 minutes. 

I talked about my favourite band of all time All Time Low (see what I did there?) and how they're starting to break through to mainstream popularity without changing their sound and how their tours and sense of performance have grown so much in the four consecutive years I've seen them. I didn't quite manage the full 2 minutes I don't think, but I was still very tired and I was concerned about talking for too long so I cut myself off too soon.

Friday photography was one of the longest, most hands-on sessions we've had - we did some more editing of photos and we got given more themes for our assignment due in January. One of them sparked an immediate idea in my mind and I really want to start working on my mood boards for these photos but time management is something I'm struggling a little bit with - everything has just got really busy really fast and deadlines are rather hastily approaching. But it'll work out.

Hopefully.

After being given new themes, we went into the studio and were told more about the facilities in the computer that we could use and some suggested set ups for still life photography.



It was a long afternoon but worth every second.

From there I had a pretty quiet weekend - I went to see some fireworks on Saturday night and inquired about getting a lip piercing on Sunday. It wasn't quite the productive weekend I wanted but it wasn't a weekend off either because I felt neither refreshed nor ready for Monday.

I was relieved that my grammar lecture had been cancelled on Monday because those are the most tedious hours of my life, but we had a lecture on writing and how important typos and self correction are. I don't know if I'm really the advocate for that - I often get so tired by the time I've finished a blog post that I'm too lazy to reread it and check it over again but it's different with news copy. The most memorable part of the lecture that I took away from it was stepping away from whatever you're writing and coming back to check it later to read it with fresh eyes.

With most blog posts I haven't really got the time to go away and come back to it but I know for a fact it definitely works in terms of writing - creative writing that is.

Monday's seminar was mostly about writing press releases and working on our technique by posting them on the blogs we made in freshers week - hence this somewhat unexplained headline post - to work on our online writing skills. It might sound somewhat cocky but writing is definitely my most confident ability within the course so I'm happy with the writing itself, I just need to work on making sure the newest information is first rather than just going for the 'shock' factor. All good stuff to bear in mind!

Tomorrow is another live news day and then this networking event in the afternoon! 

With deadlines approaching, I imagine the next few weeks are going to get stressful!




Personal blog: http://sophiecountsclouds.blogspot.co.uk/
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SophieCountsClouds
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SophieALuckett

No comments:

Post a Comment