Tuesday 24 November 2015

Week '10'

Hello,

This week has been busy and confusing - not only have I had my first deadline for the writing unit of my course pass (I submitted in time, don't worry!) but I've been struggling to figure out whether this is actually week 10!

Academically, this is my 9th week of teaching at university, but it's actually my 10th week at uni including welcome week and I don't want to change it up now, but I might call next week 'Week 10' just so I'm on the right track in terms of being able to carry on after Christmas. I'll figure it out when I've had more sleep.

(update: I've just googled it and I'm right - this is week 9, so I'll go by teaching weeks from now on! I know it doesn't matter really, but it was bugging me a bit!)

Last week was busy and this week is looking to be busier - this is my first Tuesday where I don't get the day off because we have our first News Week. 'Week' is a little misleading, as it's only three days (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) but I'll feedback on that next week.

I've said 'week' far too many times.

Planning day for News Week last Wednesday was no different to usual - I was given a story, turns out I was the only one there that was on this story and I enlisted the help of one of my friends without a story and it all started to work out in the end - we went to take photos yesterday and get audio from members of the public. Not my favourite task if I'm being completely honest, but it's got to be done!

Thursday audio was painful, only because I went to see the new instalment of the Hunger Games franchise Mockingjay Part 2 at midnight the night before so I'd had very little sleep. But we were working on writing for radio more and I like the challenge of making something work in a purely auditory situation so it was actually okay! We worked on recording what we wrote in the afternoon and chatted to our guest lecturer Jordan about what we were enjoying about the unit and what we want to work on more. It was interesting that he asked, actually.

Friday photography was another good session as we had two hours of working on our assignments and prepping more ideas and then we had an hour and a half in the studio to practise taking low light photos. It was the first time in a while that all three of my group were there so it was nice to work with them, because it never feels like work.

The weekend was busy with shopping (for both photography assignments and Christmas) and a lot of productive uni work on Sunday whilst my friends played 'Grand Theft Auto' from across the hall! But I got lots of work done, so I can't moan completely - I'm a lot more on track now and I managed to submit the writing assignment I had a day early, so whilst I'll complain at them for sleeping for so long, I'm actually grateful to have had the day to myself to get some work done!

Monday's I've taken to describing as my busiest day - I attended a lecture on press releases and press conferences in the morning and then my grammar lecture was cancelled (thank God) so I went and sat in the university canteen for an hour and wrote a blog post for SophieCountsClouds, starting writing out this post and uploaded another post to my new UCAS blog!

My introductory post is available to read here and the post I wrote on Monday is available here! What I did learn was that not only are there only 7 UCAS bloggers, so being chosen was more of a big deal than I thought! But there is also an option to vote for blogger of the month, so if you like my posts please vote for me! It would be awesome if I could have that title under my belt so soon after starting. The post I wrote was about assignment deadlines if you're interested!

If there's anything about Uni life or the application process that you'd like me to write about, as someone who's been through the UCAS system, please leave a comment or message me - I've got lots of ideas but I'd rather write something that people are actually wanting to find out!

And today, after a 2.30am fire alarm in my halls, I was up and in uni by 9 to finish taking photos for the story we were assigned last week and now I'm waiting for another job to do and filling some time. But I've got enough assignment work to do that I'd be quite happy just sitting here doing my own thing for the rest of the day!

It would mean a lot if you could have a look at my UCAS blog - I'm actually really excited about it so it would mean a lot if I can share it with people and actually get some viewers!

Thank you!




Personal blog: http://sophiecountsclouds.blogspot.co.uk/
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SophieCountsClouds
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SophieALuckett

No comments:

Post a Comment