Saturday 8 October 2016

Week 2: Back to Uni Life

Week 1 of being back at university really knocked it out of me - being in uni four consecutive days a week and going back to being a lot busier than I had been? I definitely wasn't ready for it and week 2 has definitely been a bit of a struggle. But overall it's been a good week!

Monday was another lecture in the morning which was actually really interesting - I learnt a little more about the industry and how it'll be for us going in as graduates and also telling us more about the presentation we have to do in a few weeks. The seminar was a bit slow and a bit patronising but I suppose it was useful in the end. I guess?

The second seminar of the day was actually really good, there was loads of useful tips for filming video and it was nice to chat to the lecturer on his opinion on things. The discussion about pandas needing to be extinct was questionable but was clearly poignant because it's stuck with me nearly a week later!

Tuesday is my quiet day - I have one lecture that starts at 4pm and is meant to last an hour but today I was there for half an hour being told that the internet has censorship. It's a shocker right? There are restrictions on the internet? I'm glad I'm spending £9,000 a year.

Wednesday was our first live news day of the year! I ended up being in uni for seven and a half hours, working on a story about a potential HIV cure. This week I made an infographic (which is a video with pictures and text rather than footage of an interview or talking to the public) and got to use some of my animating skills in photoshop (and by skills I mean, I know how it's done, not I know how to do it well). If you'd like to have a look, you can read the story here! HIV hope as first patient cured

Thursday is my other long day - I had a two hour InDesign session which was okay, other than the fact I was really beginning to feel quite ill but the seminar that goes with the shitty Tuesday lectures was, unsurprisingly, horrific. The way the lecturer (who never fails to remind us about his pHD) arranges our debates is stupid, none of us know why we even have to debate anyway - as journalists, we see arguments from both sides so we can then produce content equally and honestly. I hate debating when the arguments made are weak and especially when someone makes a really long point that is actually defending our side of the argument. It's all ridiculous, and my partner for the presentation had bailed after InDesign anyways, so I had no reason to stay that afternoon.

Friday is still my day off - I fully intended to be super productive and get up early and go to the gym, but what I did was get up early-ish with my boyfriend so we could do our laundry, then when he went to uni I curled up bed surrounded by my clean laundry and watched YouTube... then we went into town to browse shops we didn't need to be in, went to the SU for lunch and didn't do much in the afternoon because I was feeling increasingly more and more ill.

So whilst I do have a to do list that I really wanted to complete this weekend, I have a funny feeling that I'm not going to make the dent in it I intended but looking at it positively - maybe I'll wake up tomorrow feeling much better and have a really good day! 

I do have try outs for a couple of dance teams on Saturday, but I'm not entirely sure how that's going to go... I'll fill you in next week!




Personal blog: sophiecountsclouds.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sophiecountsclouds/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/sophiecountsclouds
The Student Seat: https://thestudentseat.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment